Tuesday, April 24, 2007

"Through Darkness comes Light." Guru

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." Charles Dickens
Fast forward to the Fall of 1999, which started my senior year of high school.


For those readers with which I am close, you know the defining instant, the characterizing moment, for my entire adult life occurred in the first term of my senior year of high school. My mother was diagnosed with brain cancer. But my senior year was also marked with the birth and growth of some of my most cherished friendships. Dylan O'Berry, Joey Amodeo, and Nikki Diaz were three friends who were always there for me, and without their support I couldn't imagine being where I am today. But most of all I want to thank my own family, especially my sister Mabry, who guided me through those dark times while I was spiraling out of control. Life was Heaven and life was Hell for the next year and a half after that surreal September morning.

My Mother succumbed to her cancer in the spring of 2001 after I had been away at university for almost a year. I often find myself wondering what life would have been like if she had never had cancer, but those thoughts shouldn’t be lingered on, for they are extremely dangerous and have been the source of countless sleepless nights of unnecessary agony.

I would be lying if I said that I have healed emotionally. I probably never will.

The thought of writing fun, party stories in this post seemed vulgar, so I will be recounting my adventures and tales of high school in upcoming posts.



I love you, Mom. I always will. Your Son, James.

No comments: