Thursday, April 26, 2007

'Jim of the World' is born in the Fall of 2002

'The Classic' of Fall 2002: Day of Dogs





As the fall semester of 2002 was rolling in, my long term relationship was breaking down and we eventually split in October. Around the same time I met another one of my best friends from Switzerland, Gabriel “The Tank.” He looks the way I feel the day after an all-nighter (imagine Einstein as a strung out crackhead). The apartment complex where I was living mostly housed students from my university, but also from several technical schools and language institutes in the area. It was the first time in my life that I had been in close contact with lots of people from other countries. And even though I had known folks from other countries, I would have to say that Gabriel was my first friend from another country. Soon after I had my first foreign girlfriend and after that I was hooked on learning more about places other than Florida and made up my mind that I was going to see the world.

As 2003 chimed in I was growing increasingly restless with my old lifestyle and realized that I had to make the change. As I was lying in bed one night (I think it was in January) drunk and unable to sleep I decided that I was going to live in Italy. Making that decision on that cold January night has effected my life in countless and unimaginable ways. The degree to which that decision has marked my life cannot be fully understood.

After that I started going by the name of ‘Jimmy’ and really started to get loose. One defining weekend was in Ybor City in Tampa, FL at a festival known as Gasparilla. I can’t really remember a lot from the weekend other than making out with a hot lesbian and snatching people’s beads, but I came back Orlando feeling like a new person, and it felt good. With the new self-image and outlook, the parties became more frequent and a hell of a lot more fun. Matt and I started throwing weekly parties called ‘Wasted Wednesday’ at CVI with Gabriel and some others. Those were mostly small, but were also insanely fun.

By the end of the Spring 2003 semester I had quite a large circle of foreign friends who would offer to house me if/when I ever made it to their homelands. I have had the opportunity to take several up on these offers and my only regret is not being able to take them all up……. Yet.



After my last final exam that semester we threw a mini-rager that lasted for about 24 hours. For me, it was the first time, and hopefully the last, that French fries have been ingested through the mouth and expelled through the nostrils. It goes without saying that I lost more than a few brain cells that night/day and have a fuckin great time doing it! If I remember correctly, Matt also cracked his face on the cement after falling down when I pretended to slap him. It’s strange what you remember in a drunken stupor.



Jimmy, Matt, John

Through the summer it was smooth sailing with lots of parties (I think I had 3 going away parties) and basketball before I departed for Sicily. A few weeks before I left Johnny Blaze, Matt and I went to an Asian house party where I met So “The General.” This guy is the craziest Japanese dude I have ever met and there will be plenty more stories about him later on in my blog.


CIAO RAGAZZI… and I am off to Sicilia…







Teppei, Gabriel, Jimmy, & Matt

No comments: