Thursday, April 26, 2007

Snowy Paradise or Icy Hell? Swiss Winter 2004-05

Things were looking good on that snowy December morning when I landed in Zürich. I was in love and ready search for a new life in the mountains. I was 22.

Claudia and I over St. Gallen




Claudia, Gabriel, and Jena made the drive to pick me up and we all went Claudia’s place in Gossau where I was going to be residing for the month. This was my third trip to Switzerland. Claudia was supposed to start a new internship in January after my departure back for sunny Orlando, but she got an email within a few days of my arrival that asked if she could start early. And she also took a temporary job in machining parts in a workshop about 15 minutes away. Needless, to say I was pissed. I had come all the way from a relatively warm Florida winter to what I thought was going to be a snowy and blissful Swiss winter paradise all to have my hopes of spending the majority of the time with the woman I loved dashed, and they were dashed directly by way of her decisions. It quickly turned into a very lonely month of icy hell. I was alone almost everyday lost in my thoughts and could either (1)sit in her apartment and develop a nasty chase of winter depression, a.k.a Cabin Fever, or (2)wander the streets of Gossau & St. Gallen.



But to say that it was all bad would not do the whole experience justice. Claudia and I did have a few good times that month, like snowboarding in Appenzell and visiting the zoo in St.Gallen. Gabriel also threw a party at his parents’ house for New Year’s Eve with quite a few of our friends. There was Gabriel & Jena, Claudia & I, Mäge & Daniella, Marcel & his Malaysian girlfriend, Martina, Jean Claude & Marianne, Phillip & Pia, Marcus & his girlfriend, and others. I also had a chance to see my old friend at St. Gallen Imbodenhuus, Magdalegne Nassatti.

Claudia and I broke up when I departed from Switzerland in January, which was absolutely the best thing for both of us. I supposed we were both to blame for all the events that had transpired, but it surely didn’t seem that way at the time. Whatever.

So I was headed back to Florida feeling dejected and very uncertain about my future.

No comments: