Thursday, April 26, 2007

Back to Switzerland: Summer 2004

I had finagled some more money out of dear old dad and was on the first flight out of Orlando for Frankfurt, Germany. Gabriel and Jena picked me up at the airport and we started on the 2 hour drive back to Switzerland. It was great being back, especially because it was mid summer and in Switzerland that means it stays light until almost 11pm.

Since my visit the previous year Gabriel’s parents had sold there house in Degersheim and bought a really cool house near Romanshorn on Lake Constance, Bodensee. It was great to see the Schneiders again; they have since become a second family to me.

I did the whole sight seeing thing again and saw some more really cool parts of Switzerland, but other than that there weren’t many crazy happenings while I was there. BBQ parties were of course on the agenda, as was drinking in the infamous St. Gallen party pub, The Birrerria. I chilled with Gabriel’s friends a lot more on this visit then I had on the previous visit and that point soon turned into something solid when a spark ignited a relationship between a friend of Gabriel’s and I. Her name was Claudia. It started a weekend trip to Chur for a city fest that is popular in Graubunden. Things with her were innocent at first, but I felt strong attraction to her and she for me and it became apparent that it was more than a week fling. To be continued…….

I also did some ‘volunteering’ at a nursing home for the mentally and physically handicapped, because Claudia was doing an internship there. It was there that I met a shining star, Magdalegne Nassatti. She had a striking resemblance to my mother after she had been through chemotherapy and had the same ‘never give up’ attitude that I had admired in my mother while she was struggling so desperately. The afternoons I spent with her and the others at the ‘Imbodenhuus: St. Gallen’ would probably have to go down as some of my most memorable for all the time I spent in ‘die Schwiiz.’

Towards the end of my 3-week vacation a hurricane was brewing in the Atlantic which I was eyeing carefully. It hit Florida and my family was fine, but I couldn’t get any information about the apartment Iowa and I were supposed to be moving into the following week. Also, to be continued……

And before I knew it, my 3 weeks were up and it was back to Florida to start my 5th year of university and for a dose of real life.

No comments: