Thursday, June 21, 2007

Back at it: Big In '08.5



These last few weeks really remind me of mid January coinciding with the kick off of my "Big In ‘08" campaign. I have been throwing fliff like Frank from The Professor Brothers. It is awesome partying every night but I am sure my wallet will be hurting in a few weeks. Whatever.

My work-week started early on Thursday to cover my last help shift from when I went back to Florida last month and I am sure glad that is over with because I am tired of working 6-day weeks. Anyway, I was working in Gotanda and it just so happens that the night before, news broke of a high court ruling against the company I am working for (big surprise). That day there were a heap of weirdo idiots calling up trying to get refund, one dude even threatened to burn the building down. I can understand why these people are so angry but they are really taking it out on the wrong people. Sure staff has their share of everyday fuck-ups, but the complete and utter ineptitude of the upper, middle, and lower level management in my company is 100% to blame. That was a tangent.

I had to work in Shinagawa Seaside the next day, which is kind of weird place, but after that I headed to Azabu-Juban for my buddy Toshi’s concert. It took me a really long time to find the place, but after I got lost 3 times another friend, Johnny, met me and took me there. It was really ‘Yuppie’ style loungy-bar called ‘The Baron’ and I was really curious why there would be a punky type band playing there. But after went down stairs the atmosphere totally changed and so did the drink prices, they went from ¥500 to ¥900 in a matter of 20 stairs. Hurtful, but it didn’t stop me from getting shitty and I missed my last train home then caught the train to Nakameguro with Toshi, his brother, Taka, and Taka’s girlfriend. Toshi and I drank for a while and then I decided to go for broke and take a taxi back to Futako Shinchi. Ouch…

I was still pretty good and drunk most of the day Saturday, but I was in my home environment of Shibuya and work went by quickly. I met up with Toshi again after work and we went for pre-drinks at the ‘Standing O Lounge’ in Shibuya, which is a really cool place that one of my friends, Kimura, is bartending at. After that we headed to the ‘Ruby Room’ because Johnny was going to be DJing there, but we actually bumped into him and a few of his buddies on the way. Kumiko was in the area, so I put her on the guest list (apparently Toshi is the unofficial booking dude and can get folks in for free, which is fucking awesome), but she got lost on the way. After I left to catch the last train home some hooker asked me if I wanted a BJ on Dogenzaka, then I caught up with Kumiko and we took the last train together. It was cool seeing her because I hadn’t seen her since she left for India last month. So that night turned out to be kind of chilled out which my body needed to be prepared for work early the next morning.

After work Sunday afternoon I bolted home, showered and headed for Yooga for Amelia and Jane’s house warming party. They are couple of really cool chicks from New Zealand and Australia, respectively, and they have a sweet crib about 2 minutes walk from Yooga station. Some of my Mizonokuchi friends turned up including two of my best buds, Paul and Matt. Julian was also there and it was cool seeing him again. It was pretty much a typical house party, but we got to hear a crazy story from the dude named Bob who I used to take Japanese class with. He recounted how he has been feeling fatigued, losing weight, and having bizarre nose bleeds over the last few years after swimming in some questionable rivers around the world on his travels. The doctors could never figure out what was happening so he just went on about his life until that morning he sneezed and out came worm. Everybody, of course, cringed at that point and the story more or less turned into a Q & A press conference and then evolved into an advice committee. So after a few hours of house partying I had to make my way to Roppongi for Trenton’s birthday party which I was already 2 hours late for. I had accidentally made commitments for 3 events that night before I realized that they were…… all on the same night. Paul fortunately, or unfortunately, cancelled his BBQ so that left me with only the house warming and Trenton’s thing, which was manageable. So I was on the train and coincidentally ran into Alister, the singer from Sunset Drive (Toshi’s band), and had a chat with him. I met up with Sam, one of my coworker’s at Roppongi crossing and then Ashley met us for to take us to the place. It was cool, but I got more drunk than I had planned for and consequently missed my last train again so Ash and I decided to stay and go for karaoke with a few of the crew then get a taxi home after that. Well, here’s where it gets interesting; a mystery woman takes the cab home with us, pays the bill, goes out for drinks with us in my neighborhood at 3am, then disappears step by step into the dawn dusk. Who are you……..?




Amelia, Steve, and I



me and Trenton

Monday I was surprisingly sober after the events of Sunday night, but work was still shitty. After work Kumiko came over and we were supposed to check out this new café in my neighborhood, Fil.Albero, but it is closed every Monday, so we just went to Potluck for drinks and then to my pad to polish off a 6-pack that Ash and I had bought the night (4:30am) before and not even touched. It is really cool having Kumiko back. Her and Ashley are probably my two best friends in Tokyo at the moment.

Tuesday was pretty chilled out. Ash came round the ever so popular Potluck for a few drinks then peaced-out and I visited the Sandman in Dreamland early from the week long beer fest. Wednesday Kumiko came over in the afternoon to finally go to that café which turned out to have a pretty cool view, but failed to really impress me, so we got beers and took off to the river where we met my friend Sato, his wife and there two dogs. I really love my neighborhood because most days, no matter what I am doing, I can randomly bump into my friends. Anyway, after that we went back to my place and Kumiko helped me sort out some tax shit that has been giving me a headache, then we ate and she went home. She has truly become a genuine friend.

Today I went on a stroll through the neighborhood and down to the river a snapped some photos with my trusty side-kick, the Canon IXY 900IS. Here are a few:





So that is last week in a nutshell and it is 8pm on Thursday night. Who knows what tonight might have in store…………..

No comments: