Thursday, June 28, 2007

Take the Good with the Bad/ 'When I was 23 I bought a squirrel in Ibaraki!'

It was a strange week this week with some crazy times but also, sadly to say, bad news.

Friday night was a major night. I had a concert in Youga to attend directly after work. ‘Carl’ Louis De’Andrade, one of my co-workers and good friends in Tokyo, hosts a open mic jazz night every few months at his friend’s bar in Youga. Louis is a really cool dude and has had a pretty fucking cool life, too. Anyway, I arrived late around 10 and promptly started getting my fill of the brew because it was all-you-can-drink and I only had 2 hours left by then. I had gotten word that my ex-‘living partner’ was going to be in attendance, so I had Ash, Sam, Rohan, and Betty working defense in case she tried anything psycho, but she didn’t and the concert went off without a hitch. Another old friend from work, Junko, came and Trenton came as well. It was a really cool open mic with various jazz and acoustic performances capped off with my personal favorite of the night: “I Want You Back” by the Jackson 5. By the time ‘nomi hodai’ finished we were already ‘schilaquered’ but Louis needed help carrying his and his daughter’s instruments back to his office/studio. Well after that he invited Ash and I back to his crib, which is sweet, to crack open a primo bottle of 18-year of Tequila and that’s when things started to get hairy. We 3 were tipping back shots of the best whilst Carl’s kid was mixing up cocktails for us and his wife was getting irritated because ‘she doesn’t like it when Carl drinks.’ Ash and I ended up leaving around dawn and getting a little lost in Youga before taking a taxi back to my neighborhood. Once there Ash almost got hit by a car while sitting in the road trying to take a picture then caused a scene at the convenience store under my apartment and topped it off by trying to fight me. What a night. I found a sandwich on my floor the next morning. It was delicious.





Evolution of a bruise, courtesy of 'Bruce' 'Ash' 'Lee' (get it?)




Sunday I went drinking with Eri and her friends, Sho and Emo. They were a couple of really cool fashion designers. And Monday I went out again with Eri and Oz James. It was really cool chilling with them again. I hadn’t seen either one of them for a month. Nothing really crazy though, just drinking, talking politics and catching up. Tuesday I went for a few drinks with my old French roommate, Manu. He is a cool cat who unfortunately got bent over by our company and was forced to leave Japan for a bit. Fortunately he is back but is also struggling to make ends meet at his part time job waiting tables in a French restaurant. All in all it was a relaxing few nights.

There is absolutely nothing like being back on a university campus with tons of hot young honey babies grilling you with everything they have. On Wednesday I headed out to Machida where The General is attending school at Tamagawagakauen (Tamagawa University). It was amazing; these uni chicks were literally tripping over their feet when they caught a glimpse of me. What great feeling. Then The General and I took in some more sugar faces while having dinner and beers before I took off back for Shibuya to meet Toshi. Toshi and I knocked a few cold ones back at my Shibuya favorite, The Funky Chicken. I was pretty wasted, but it was still an early night. And that brings us to tonight; another fairly relaxed evening: dinner and drinks with my good friend, Kumiko.

Back in Uni with The General

No comments: